THOMAS SPOONER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This house, constructed about 1878, was originally owned by Thomas J. Spooner. Spooner bought the property from Eloisa Harvey in 1876 and sold it to Bridget and William O'Connor in 1883. The O'Connors are listed as the occupants in the 1890 Oregon City Directory, but by 1894 the property was again sold by Bridget (O'Connor) Knowles to Emanuel Bushong. After this, the property changed hands many times and was apparently used as a rental property as none of the subsequent owners appear in the city directories as occupants of the house. In 1962, Ronald and Sally Shaw are listed as renters of the home. Shaw, a laborer for the Oregon Portland Cement Company in Lake Oswego, eventually purchased the house in 1968 and occupied it until it was sold again in 1980.
This vernacular house c.1878 features a rectangular plan on a newer poured concrete foundation. There are two styles of drop siding, and some limited sections of vertical groove plywood siding. Capital molding tops the corner boards, while sawtooth vertical boards form the frieze. The west facade features a gable dormer, and the west porch is enclosed. Rectangular, tapered porch columns feature decorative molding at the capitals with a frieze. The aluminum sliders feature faux shutters, and a sliding glass door marks the south elevation. A carport has been added at the south side.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.