EMANUEL BUSHONG HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: The structure is on the 1900 Sanborn Insurance Map, along with four other buildings on the block. In 1900, Lots 1, 6 and parts of 2 and 5 were owned by Emanuel Bushong, who purchased the lots from the ubiquitous Bridget and Thomas Knowles in 1894. The latter owned the entire block from 1883 and had $1300 worth of improvements on the block in 1892. No information has been found on Bushong, but it seems likely he lived in the more elaborate house on Lot 6, 1012 Jefferson Street, and built this house during his ownership of the property. In 1902, A.W. Cheney purchased Lot 6 and part of Lot 5. Cheney was born in Wisconsin and arrived in Oregon City in 1889. In 1895, he purchased the Oregon City Courier and in 1898 the Herald and published the Oregon City Courier-Herald for a number of years. Just before the turn of the century, he also bought the Canby Independent. The title shows Cheney selling part of Lots 5 and 6 to William and Ova Peters who lived in this house from 1915 to 1920. Peters was a millwright for Crown-Willamette Paper Company and sold the house to Albert Buol. Buol, along with the next two owners, used the house as a rental property. In 1946 George and Theo Bertilson bought and occupied the house. The brothers owned the Desert Inn in Oak Grove and later worked for Crown Zellerbach. The Bertilsons lived in the house until 1962, when the house became a rental again. In 1966 the Bertilsons sold the property to Melvin and Twila Teske. Teske was a millworker for Crown Zellerbach, and owned the property through at least 1985.
A Craftsman/bungalow porch distinguishes this c.1895 vernacular house with wide rake boards and enclosed eaves. The porch is a historic addition that includes T-1-11 siding. The window trim retains its window hoods. The east half of the house replaced a one-story wing c. 1900, and the windows were altered from 2/2 to 1/1. A full-length porch was also removed from the east façade.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.