WILLIAM B. ZUMWALT HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Though built by former mayor and businessman William Andresen, it appears he never lived here. Andresen sold the house to William and Mary Zumwalt in September of 1896. During the time the Zumwalts owned it, Mr. Zumwalt was a city councilman. Zumwalt was also a millwright and later foreman of the mill. In 1910, Zumwalt sold the house to Roswell L. Holman, a prominent local undertaker. Holman lived in the house in the early years of his ownership, but by 1933 was using the house as a rental property.
This Queen Anne of complex plan features a rounded porch wrapping around the front and one side of the house, with square spindle rail trimming the porch roof. The turned porch columns appear original but the simple rail is a replacement. Decorative balls top the newel posts, and lattice skirts the porch. Decorative stick work highlight the gable ends. The gables feature shingles. Six lights flank a central light in the front door. A rear room, abutting the carport, is sided with asbestos shingles and is an obvious addition given the small, sliding window. The windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung with blue aluminum sliding storm windows. Shallow hoods top the windows.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.