CARL AND HELEN JOEHNKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This was originally the home of Carl W. Joehnke (1881-1969), and his wife, Helen Riggs Joehnke. A native of Oregon City, Joehnke was a post office clerk and owned a farm in the Canby area. He organized the first Boy Scout troop in Oregon City and was an active supporter of local 4-H chapters and the Clackamas County Fair. Joehnke was a veteran of the Philippines campaign of the Spanish-American War and owned the house until 1921. Lee V. Shannon bought the property in that year and held it until 1932. The State of Oregon assumed ownership of the property until 1945, when Edward and Minnie O'Neill bought the house. O'Neill was a carpenter employed by the CWP Company, which became Crown Zellerbach. The O'Neill's had two daughters, Margaret and Marion. In August of 1953 Mark and Katherine Tuor bought the house and lived in it until 1975. Mark Tuor owned Mark's Tavern.
This two-story colonial has a rectangular plan with a north side porch. It sits on a concrete foundation and is clad in lap siding with a capped water table. The side gabled roof is covered with composition shingling with a wide frieze board and eave returns. The windows are primarily 9/1 wood double-hung with wide surrounds and lamb's tongues. The two-story front porch has a front gabled roof with eave returns supported by two pairs of colossal columns. The porch stoop is concrete with concrete stairs and the front door has side lights. The side porch addition appears to have been enclosed when surveyed in 1982. It is now a single-story open-air porch with a colonnade and frieze.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.