ABEL AND THOMAZINE ENDY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1862, Abel Endy, who was blind, and his wife Thomazine purchased this property and is credited with the construction of the residence. The couple arrived had arrived in Oregon City from England just two years earlier. Mr. Endy's brother William was a local stonemason who may have helped support the family. The couple continued to own the property for over forty years. In 1907, the house was purchased by Thomas and Jane Blanchard, who occupied it during at least the 1910s. However, during their twenty-five year tenure, the house appears to have also been used as a rental. In 1944, Charles and Mollie Hannant were deeded this property and continued to own and occupy it until the late 1950s. In 1960, it was purchased by Lottie Mae Schneringer, a cook at Sider's Nursing Home. She continued to reside at the property until her death in 1967.
This saltbox style house, c.1865 is a simple square shaped plan with a saltbox roofline, a rare style in Oregon. A medium sized rake board with molding exists on the eaves of the roofline. Wood posts and a low enclosed knee wall support a full-width front porch. The wood tongue and groove porch flooring has been replaced (per owner) date unknown. The main entrance door still retains the original transom window above. Original exterior drop cladding is present on the main structure with round-edge drop siding on the knee wall of the front porch. Typical windows include 1/1 wood double-hung with lamb’s tongue detailing. The foundation is post and beam with concrete block skirting the original foundation. A small, detached metal shed exists at rear of structure. Alterations include the 1910's window replacement, siding and front porch alteration and much of the interior spaces.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.