OREGON CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY -- Statement of Significance: In 1903, the Library Association was located in the Masonic Temple. Together the Library Association and the Oregon City Commercial Club secured a donation from Andrew Carnegie for the construction of the present library building. Members of the Library Committee include J.E. Hedges, E.G. Caufield, Charles Caufield, John W. Loder, William S. U'Ren, Mrs. Mary U'Ren, Mrs. E. Carter and Miss Myrtle Buchanon. Miss Buchanon became the first librarian in 1911. She was succeeded by Miss Steinbaugh and Miss Louisa Holmes. Following construction of the new library, Linn E. Jones was president of the Library Association. The restoration cost $1.6 million and the building was reopened in November 2001.
Once a Carnegie library, this handsome red brick building was restored to its former condition but not its former use. It is now an art gallery and coffee shop with a day care in the basement. The building is basically a one-story Georgian box. Pairs of yellow brick pillars flank the front entrance which is reached by splayed concrete steps. Over the door is a pediment with dentils, a cornice with dentils and a string course of two yellow bricks above the window. There is a belt course of three yellow bricks. The front doors have side lights and a decorative transom with diagonal muntins. A pair of yellow brick pilasters anchors each corner from the belt course to the string course under the cornice. The cornice consists of a two brick corbel, again in yellow. The southside has a ramp for the disabled recess in the concrete.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.