H.L. PATTERSON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1901, H.L. and Alice E. Patterson bought the property in 1901 and proceeded to construct a residence approximately three years later. The couple lived in the house until selling in 1913 to Frank and Minnie Donovan, who in turn transferred it ten years later to Clark B. Fuge, a postal carrier. There is no evidence that Fuge ever occupied the house. In 1946, John W. and Irene Lind purchased this property. Mr. Lind owned the J.W. Lind Company, a food broker, and his wife worked at the Clackamas County Library. The couple continued to occupy this house until at least the late 1960s.
This 1-1/2 story house has a complicated massing and many roof types. The main mass appears to have a hip roof. On this extends a gabled dormer to the north and a large front gable with boxed soffits dominates the west elevation. Within the molded verge boards, rakeboard and molding, and eave returns are decorative hexagonal shingles, below the house is sheathed in drop channel siding. Directly under the eave returns and shingles is a hexagonal bay with a hip roof and multi-light windows on all three sides. Evidence of a corner board remains, however, a square addition fills in the former northeast corner of the house. This has a hip roof and two six-pane windows. The southeast corner of the house is filled in with a front gabled porch with concrete steps and small arched windows in either side. The interior of the porch looks like rake cedar shingle texture but is one continuous piece. The south elevation has narrower siding but continuous water table and cap. There is a small gable dormer and 2/2 double-hung windows with apron molding on one. A porch projects in back. There is a non-historic garage off the north corner of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.