D.H. AND NELLIE F. GLASS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Nellie Glass (1863-1937), daughter of early Willamette Valley pioneer Charles Pringle Fullerton, was born in Salem. She was the sister of Washington Supreme Court Justice, Richard A. Fullerton. D.H. Glass was a teacher at Eastham School. The Glass family lived in the house through 1904, when the property was sold. After this, the house continued to be sold about every five or ten years through the mid-1940s. At that time, Hattie and Sofus Larsen bought the property. It appears that the house was used as a rental following the 1904 sale of the property. The longest resident of the house was Elvlon and Vivian Morgan, who were in the house sometime before 1958 and lived there through the 1960s. Morgan worked at the Premium Market on 7th Street during his residence in the house.
The house at 714 Monroe Street is an excellent example of a Queen Anne Cottage. It is basically rectangular in plan, with two front facing gable. It has 1/1 wood double-hung windows with stained and leaded glass windows at the front. The front's volume corners are chamfered with brackets and pendants. The peak of the gables have hexagonal shingles, and one of the gables has board and batten. The siding is channel drop with a water table and cap. The diminutive front porch has a turned column, pilasters and rail The front door is original. The foundation is post and beam and is screened by a vertical v-notch skirting. There is a gabled garage with a new door and concrete foundation to the rear.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.