MATTHIAS AND MARGARET MICHELS RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: Matthias Michels was a German immigrant and laborer in the Crown Willamette Paper Mill. He and his wife Margaret are the original owners of this residence, which was constructed sometime after 1900. The Michels held the property until their estate sold it in 1934. There is a gap in records until 1942 when the sheriff sold the house to Clackamas County. Francis and Virginia Durning then held ownership from 1943 to 1951. George R. Coover, who was employed by the Publishers Paper Company, bought the house in 1951 and had converted it into a duplex. By 1960, he and his wife Mary were occupying 301-1/2 Monroe and renting out the other unit.
This simple c.1900 vernacular multi-unit residence is square in plan with a hip roofline. A wide frieze board is present on all elevations below the roofline. The main elevation has a full width front porch with a low-pitched hip roof supported by truncated, tapered porch posts and a solid knee rail. The front entrance has an original transom window above a compatible, non-historic main door. The windows are typically 1/1 wood double-hung with a decorative molding trim above and an elaborate apron below the windowsill. Alterations include an entrance to the basement level apartment.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.