KENT R. WILSON HOUSE --Statement of Significance: Kent R. Wilson was the son of William and Mary Wilson. He was a track star while attending the University of Oregon. He was the star witness for the State during a much-publicized prohibition case, and was a member of the 3rd Oregon National Guard, hospital corps. Wilson owned the property from the time of the house's construction until 1941. Following a four-month ownership by Peter and Anna Vernig, the house was sold to Eva Gay and L.O. Bailey that same year. Eva Bailey, widowed by 1947, lived in the house through the remainder of the historic period. She was part owner of the Bailey Furniture and Hardware store in downtown Oregon City.
The house at 510 Monroe is a typical Oregon City bungalow of the 1920s. It is side gabled with a full width front porch. The porch has tapered truncated columns on a solid rail. The front door is original with leaded glass. The house is clad in beveled siding. The windows are typically 6/1 wood double-hung. A wide shed dormer marks the front elevation. The eave has brackets, exposed rafter tails, and pointed bargeboards. The north elevation has a stepped brick chimney. There are established camellias and an old apple tree on the north side. There is a c.1920 garage to the east with a new garage door.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.