ELIZABETH AND JACOB RAUCH HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Jacob Rauch, born in Darmstadt, Germany in 1817, came to the United States at the age of 14. In 1839, in Illinois, he married Elizabeth Anderson and in 1853, they crossed the plains with an ox team, settling on a donation land claim. In 1893, they moved to Oregon City, which is apparently when they built the house on John Quincy Adams Street. Rauch died in 1902 and his wife died the following year. The house remained in the Rauch family until 1908, when the Trotski family purchased the house and remained there until the early 1920s. Charles Trotski worked for the CWP Company, and sold the house in 1922. Ownership of the property changed hands three times between 1922 and 1946, when John Eaden and his wife Myrtle bought the house. John, a City of Oregon City employee, owned the house through at least 1985.
This 1-1/2 story vernacular style house has a rectangular plan and sits on a post and beam foundation with channel drop skirting. The gable roof is covered with composition shingles with eave returns and wide frieze. The house is covered in wood shingles. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung. The shed roof entry porch is supported by rounded columns. A porch on the north façade was enclosed and converted to a bathroom. The original, 3-pane front door has etched glass. There is a concrete retaining wall with integrated steps.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.