JOSEPH AND VENNA LOCKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1905, Joseph D. and Venna Locke purchased this land and proceeded to construct their residence. Mr. Locke was a carpenter who built a number of Bungalow houses in the McLoughlin Neighborhood. Following the couple's transfer of the property in 1933, it had changed hands another three times by 1939. At that time it was sold to Harless R. and Jennie M. Ely, both musicians. The Elys continued to own and occupy this residence until at least 1967.
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house with Queen Anne detailing has a rectangular plan and sits on a post and beam foundation with vertical channel drop skirting. The cross gable roof is covered with composition shingles and is pierced by a gable roof dormer and a chimney. The house is covered with channel rustic drop siding with wood shingles on the dormers and gable ends. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood doublehung with lamb's tongues. The shed roof entry porch is supported by narrow columns with decorative brackets and open rail. The original entry door and a window have been boarded over and a new entry door has been created in the front façade, making the siding on that façade uneven and unmatched. A flat roof attached garage is on the south side. A shed roof addition has been added to the rear. A small rental house, with poor integrity and condition, sits to the rear of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.