DR. JOHN MC LOUGHLIN HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Quebec-born John McLoughlin was chief factor for the Hudson's Bay Company, in charge of the Columbia District in 1824. Fort Vancouver was built under his direction. McLoughlin established a sawmill in Oregon City in 1832, and in his position as Chief Factor was responsible for encouraging and aiding settlers arriving in Oregon. McLoughlin had Oregon City platted and claimed much of the present center area of town. He resigned from the company in 1845 and established his residence in Oregon City, and later became a citizen of the United States. He had this house constructed in 1846. McLoughlin died in 1857. In 1909, civic-minded citizens moved the building from the south end of the lower town to its present site on Singer Hill. In 1941, it became a National Historic Site and in 1966 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This two-story Colonial Revival house has a rectangular plan and sits on a stone foundation. The hip roof is covered in composition shingles pierced by chimneys on each end. The house is covered with bevel lap siding, topped with a wide frieze and grounded by a water table and cap. Windows are primarily 16/12 wood double-hung on the first floor and 12/12 wood double-hung on the second floor. The main entry door has multi-pane sidelights and transom. The secondary entry doors have multi-pane transoms.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.