W.C. AND ANNA WITHAM HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1879, Anne Abernethy, executor, sold lots 1-8 of block 37 to George Fuchs. The widowed Mrs. Elizabeth Fuchs sold part of lot 1 to W.C. and Anna L. Witham in 1921, at which time the house was constructed. W.C. Witham owned a furniture store on Main Street. The Withams sold the house to the Oregon City Abstract Company in 1924, who in turn sold the house to Solon A. Bray in 1925. Solon A. Bray sold the house two years later to Ida Neffsinger. In 1929, Ida Neffsinger sold the house to Victor and Florence Jones. The Joneses sold the house in 1930 to F.T., a civil engineer for the State Highway Department, and Donna L. Young. In 1954, the Youngs sold the house to Oscar F. and Avis G. Stopper. The Stoppers sold the house in 1963 to Joe T., an electrical engineer for Pacific Power and Light, and Irene M. Lienert who continued to own until at least 1973.
This one-story Bungalow has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The shallow gable roof is covered in composition shingles with exposed rafter tails and decorative brackets supporting it. The roof is pierced by two chimneys. The house, now used as a dental clinic, is covered with bevel lap siding that is flared at the base. Windows are primarily multi-light casement with storm windows. The articulated porch features exposed tie and collar beams. The columns supporting the roof are covered in stucco. The open railing is wrought iron.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.