CAPTAIN M.D. PHILLIPS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: The Sheriff sold lots 1, 2, 7 and 8 of Block 53 to H.W. Ross in 1885. In 1891, H.W. and Lucinda Ross sold the lots to G.R.N. Miller. G.R.N. Miller, unmarried, sold lot 8 to Fred J. Nelson, unmarried, in 1908. Later that year, Fred J. Nelson sold part of lot 8 to M.D. Phillips. M.D. Phillips served during the Spanish American War as a member of Company I of the Second Oregon Regiment of Oregon Volunteers. He replaced Captain Pickens while in the Philippines. Captain Phillips was co-owner of the Riverbank Skating Rink in Downtown Oregon City with G. Olds and later was employed as foreman by Crown Willamette Company. Mrs. Phillips was a sister of Charles Caufield. The widow Anna M. Phillips, et al. sold the house to John L., the City manager, and Edna Franzen in 1938. The Franzens sold the house to Donald E., an optician with Paramount Optical, and Irene A. Van Acker in 1947. In 1951, the Van Ackers sold the house to Augustine and Mannietta Fleming. The 1953 City Directory lists this house as the Fleming Nursing Home Annex with 12 tenants. Mannietta continued to own the property, though her name changed on the deed first to Mannietta Notdurft in 1957 and then Mannietta Cannon in 1963, through the historic period.
This two-story bungalow has a rectangular plan and sits on a cast stone foundation. The cross-gable roof is covered in composition shingles with a wide rake board, exposed rafter tails and decorative brackets. It is pierced by a chimney. The house is covered with bevel siding grounded by a water table. Windows are primarily fixed pane with ribbon transom and sidelights, 15/1 wood double-hung, narrow 4/1 wood double-hung and leaded ribbon windows in the gable end. The north façade of the second floor has a shed roof oriel. Here is a brick exterior chimney on the south. The hip roof entry porch wraps around the north side and is supported by battered columns and has a knee wall. This porch has been restored since the 1982 survey. The house is now used by Morrissey Group, L.L.C., an accounting firm.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.