WILLIAM AND ALA LAWSON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1904, William and Ala Lawson purchased this property and proceeded to construct this residence. Mr. Lawson was born in Canada in 1844 and worked in Oregon City as a butcher. In 1925, the property was sold by M.E. Lawson to John A. and Lillian Cameron. They sold the house in 1934 to Chester Wright, who in turn sold it to Millard Kohler. In a lawsuit in 1939, County v. Kohler, the county gained ownership of the property. The Sheriff sold the property in 1941 to Clackamas County. Two years later, Clackamas County deeded the property to Oregon City, who in turn deeded it to Carl M. and Mattie Zern. The Zerns sold the property in 1949 to Joe J., employed at the Pub Paper Co., and Josephine Lorsung, cook at the Arlan Restaurant. In 1964, Josephine Lorsung, widow, deeded the property to Leander J. Lorsung. Later that year, Leander and Hildegard Lorsung sold the property to Loren L. Kuske who owned the property until at least 1972. The 1964 City Directory indicates Verl W., bodyman at Woodburn Ford, and Nancy J. Fobert were renters at this residence. In the 1965 and 1967 City Directories, Lillian F. Mohns, retired, was listed as the renter.
This one story vernacular house with bungalow elements has a rectangular plan and sits on a concrete block foundation. The cross gable roof is covered in composition shingles with eave returns and a wide rake board. The house is covered with channel rustic drop siding grounded by a water table and cap. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung. A large picture window has been added to the front (west) façade. The front door is protected by a metal awning.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.