224 Center Street

JAMES MILNE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: James Milne arrived in Oregon in 1853 and was a carpenter by trade. This house represents the attainment of a skilled tradesman in midnineteenth century Oregon. He was born in 1827 in New Brunswick and died in Lane County in 1904. Little is known about James Milne except the date he arrived in Oregon, that he married and had five children - all born in Oregon. Records indicate that Lots 1-8 of Block 58 were owned in 1876 by Eloisa Harvey who sold them to Daniel Harvey. Daniel Harvey in turn sold them to J.W. Norris, et al. the same day. In 1879, the property was sold by A.C. and M.E. Bailey to John Myers. John and Sarah J. Myers sold the property to J.W. Norris later that same year. Two years later, J.W. and Marry E. Norris sold the property to Isaac Farr. Isaac Farr and his wife owned the property until 1904 when they sold it to Elmer T. Farr. Elmer T. Farr sold the property in 1912 to Paul M. and May Naumann. The Naumanns sold the property to Dr. G.E. and Blanch Stuart in 1919. In 1921, ownership transferred from G.E. Stuart to Blanche Stuart. Blanche Stuart sold the property in 1930 to C.E. and Nora Waldron. Ownership reverted in 1932 to Blanche Stuart. In 1937, Blanche Stuart sold the property to Donald and Petronilla Zimmer who owned through the rest of the historic period. This property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

This 1-1/2 story Gothic Revival-style house is rectangular in plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The cross-gable roof is covered with composition shingles and is pierced on each end with chimneys. The house is covered in lap siding. Windows are primarily 1/1 and 4/4 wood double-hung with hood molding. A gothic arched door pierces gable end of the upper floor of the front (west) façade. The front (west) façade has a bay window. A hipped roof wing has been added to the north façade and a single-story room has been added to the rear. A picket fence encircles the front yard.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form