WALTER LITTLE BUILDING -- Statement of Significance: This building was the second home of Friedrich's Hardware. Later, is was used as an ice cream shop and confectionary, owned and operated by Walter little, and also as a notions store and a bakery. Little bought the property in 1898, and by 1909 was in business as a confectioner. Upstairs a two apartments which were frequently occupied by the operator of the store below. During World War II, the building became a variety store. In its earlier years, it was one of many commercial establishments that once lined 7th Street. This building burned down in 2007.
This commercial structure was built in the 1890s. It has a false front with Italianate detailing, including brackets and modillions at the cornice. The building's footprint is rectangular, with a gable roof behind the false front. The ground floor is still used for commercial enterprise while the second floor residence is accessed from the side. A suspended flat awning shelters pedestrians from the elements. The windows on the residential use portio are tall and narrow 1/1 wood double-hung. The front has been covered with asbestos ceramic siding. A transom, now covered up, was once part of storefront.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.