ELY STORE -- Statement of Significance: The Ely Brothers Store, with Duane C. Ely (from New York) and George V. Ely (from Illinois) as proprietors, first opened in 1889. In 1905, the general store at 1019 7th Street opened. George V. Ely came to Oregon City in 1879. George Ely lived at this location for a number of years in the early 1900s, and eventually bought the house at 712 John Q. Adams. Ely owned the property until 1950, but by 1941 it had become the McElroy & Quinn Grocery. Frank McElroy eventually bought the property in 1951, and operated McElroy's Grocery here during the remainder of the historic period. This building is significant for its association with the Ely family and for its continued use as a grocery.
The two-story commercial building at 1019 7th Street has a large gable roof peaking over a false front topped with brackets. Asbestos ceramic shingles cover the front and sides of the building along with a recent board and batten wainscot. The rear is clad with vertical tongue and groove. Roman brick provides the water table at the 1950s store front. A flat canopy extends across the front incorporating a large addition on its west side. Non-historic 1/1 wood double-hung windows stretch down its side. Fixed windows mark its front. There are side entries and a corner entry at J.Q. Adams and 7th Streets. At the rear, similar to 919 7th Street, there is access to three apartments.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.