DEUTE STORE -- Statement of Significance: Otto Deute bought this property in 1894, and by about 1905 had constructed this building for his business needs. It is not known what Deute's business was, but later businesses include Etta Silva's children's store. It was also at one time a millinery store. The ownership of the property during the late 1920s and 1930s is cloudy, but by 1941 the building housed Mae's Beauty Shop, operated by Mae Vorhies. Mae's husband, Louie, worked for Crown Zellerbach. Mae's Beauty Shop remained in the building into the early 1960s, but by 1964 the property was owned by Joan Watts, who used the building both as a residence and as offices for Seal Realty. The Vorhies' also used the building for both business and residential uses, with living quarters above the ground floor storefront windows.
The former house at 707-709 7th Street has lost integrity over the years. The two-story building has had all its windows replaced with vinyl, its front clad in shingles, store front and entrance inserted into its front, and a one-story addition on its west side. The store fronts consists of huge fixed vinyl windows with a brick water table. There is a daylight basement with vertical plywood skirt. The sides of the building still retain their channel drop siding. There is also a shed addition on the rear.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.