513 Madison Street

J. AND ELIZABETH ALBRIGHT RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1908, J. and Elizabeth Albright purchased this property and are likely responsible for the construction of the house. As it does not appear on the 1911 Sanborn Insurance Maps, the residence is assumed to have been built shortly thereafter. However, there is no evidence that the couple ever occupied the house. From 1922 to 1948, the property was owned by H.H. Hughes, who also appeared to have used the house as a rental. The following owner, Della Beattie lived at the property until 1955, when it was purchased by Clem and Doris Nodine Day. Mr. Day was an elevator operator for the Oregon City passenger elevator, who lived in the house until its sale in 1962. It was then occupied by retirees Pierre and Victoria Grand who remained until 1985.

This vernacular house exhibits Queen Anne detailing, most notably on its front porch. The roof form is rather complex, almost making a cross gable with a full gable facing the street and a jerkinhead roof facing the alley to the south. Channel drop siding makes up the primary siding below the roof line, while a fish scale pattern fills the gable that faces the street. The 1/1 wood double-hung windows with hoods are now flanked with faux shutters. A wide water table rests on its concrete foundation. A later enclosure has been added to the southwest corner of the building.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

MADI_0513