MAHLON E. WILLOUGHBY RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: In 1889, Mahlon Willoughby, a landlord, purchased this property and proceeded to construct this rental house. The residence is a twin to the one constructed by Willoughby at 302 Madison. The property was transferred in 1898 to Thomas Ryan, who in turn sold to A.C. Beaulieu in 1904. As both of these owners lived in Gladstone, it is assumed they continued to use the house as a rental. In 1911, the property was purchased by Edwin L. Johnson, a barber, and his wife Jessie. The residence was occupied by the Johnson family until its sale in 1945 to Albert and Dora Hoffman. Mr. Hoffman was employed by Crown Zellerbach and his wife was worked at Oregon City Drugs. The couple continued to live in the house until the early 1980s.
Very similar to its twin at 302 Madison, this vernacular house exhibits some Italianate detailing. It sits on a flat lot, far back from the street. It is, however, lower to the ground than its neighbor, requiring only a few steps to reach its front entry porch. The bay window in the main gable appears to have been restored with some new brackets, but some intricate shingle work below the 1/1 wood double-hung windows looks to be original and matches that of its neighbor. A large horizontal window just to the left of the entry door has been added. A grooved plywood skirt runs around the foundation. Frieze and rake boards detail the gable, along with corner boards. An intact bungalow garage sits south of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.