WILLIAM AND ALICE MULVEY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1911, William L. and Alice Mulvey purchased this property and constructed the residence shortly thereafter. Mulvey was an attorney who lived in the house with his wife until its sale in 1917 to Kate Shannon. The property remained in the Shannon family until 1955, although it appears to have been used as a rental following Kate Shannon's death in c.1943. The next owner, Willamette Inc., continued to lease out the residence during their tenure, which lasted until 1967. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, the tenant of the house was Anna G. Stanton. By 1958, it was occupied by Thomas Nichols, an Oregon City fireman, his wife Velma, and their three children.
This c.1911 house marks the transition from Queen Anne to bungalow. It has a steeply pitched bell cast hip roof with polygonal bay windows projecting from both the north and south sides. The roof has wide bargeboards with flared ends, modillions, and a very wide eave. Skylights have been added. The house has a square plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. It is clad in lap siding, though the porch skirt is shingled. The porch has its own low hip roof that rests on square battered piers. The water table and cap are still intact. The larger windows on the ground floor are 1/1 wood double-hung and several have decorative stained glass in the upper sash. These windows have been covered in vinyl storms. The upper story windows have large, single panes with slightly rounded corners and are surrounded with simple wood trim. There is one large 3-sided dormer projecting from the north side. A deck with an elaborate staircase has been added to the back of the house. There is a garage at the rear of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.