TERRY AND ETTA MILLER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This building was originally owned by Terry and Etta Miller, who was the daughter of William A. Long, owner of Oregon City's first theater. Long was born in Kansas in 1869 and moved to Oregon City c.1890. He worked in the West Linn mill for 25 years before deciding to open his own business, the Star Theater and the Liberty Theater. Terry Miller, Long's son-in-law, played the organ at the silent movies shown at the Star. The house remained in the Miller and Long families and was occupied by Etta Miller throughout the historic period.
The large, rectangular bungalow at 417 Madison Street is 1-1/2 stories with a gable roof. The eave is unsupported by brackets but does have eave returns. The front porch has truncated colossal posts on a solid rail. The bungalow front door is flanked by side lights. The house is surfaced in narrow bevel siding. Windows are 6/1 and 9/1 wood double-hung. The kitchen cold cupboard vents still remain. The exterior chimney on its south side is stepped. A small garage buried at the curb is contemporary with the house's construction. A rear entry deck has been built on top of it.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.