716 10th Street
FREDERICK WHITE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This residence is credited to Frederick White, who, with his brother William, engaged in architecture and carpentry between the late 1880s and mid-teens of the 1900s. The pair constructed a number of houses in the McLoughlin neighborhood and a handful of commercial buildings on Main Street. White later went into partnership with Harold Rands, a civil engineer, as Rands and White. In 1903, White sold the property to Harold's brother, Ernest Rands, who was also a civil engineer. The property remained in the family until 1953, when it was purchased by Dr. Arthur Mac Donald, a dentist. After living in the house for a short time, he rented it to Eli Jimenez, a teacher. The property remained in the Mac Donald family until the mid-1980s.
This house sits under a cross gable roof and is 1-1/2 stories high at the original part of the house. A one-story ell has been added to the south end of this house, and now serves as a second residential unit. This addition also sits under a gable roof, with a small gable on the east side over the main entry, drop siding, and vinyl sliding sash windows. The original portion of the house, located on the north end of the lot, features scroll cut paired brackets at the gable ends and wide frieze and rake boards. A rectangular bay projects out from the south end of the east side of the house, covered by a low hip roof. This bay features a dentil course and decorative molding at the frieze level, tall 1/1 double-hung wood sash windows and recessed panels beneath the windowsills. An octagonal bay is present on the north side of the house, with a fleur-de-lis pattern in the frieze and a series of smaller recessed panels beneath the windows. At the inside corner of the L-shaped plan, a hipped roof covers the entry porch, supported by a series of slender chamfered posts with scroll cut brackets. A frieze with the same fleur-de-lis pattern is present above the brackets. The windows are typically 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board surrounds and decorative hood moldings. A single bull's-eye window is present above the porch hip. The house rests on a concrete foundation and is in good condition.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.