E. CHARLESON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1911, Burt Moore sold this property to E. Charleson and it is unclear which owner is responsible for the construction of the house. The property changed hands frequently through the 1910s and into the 1920s, until purchased by J.W. and Julia Saunders. Although the couple sold the house in the 1940s, they continued to occupy it until the early 1950s. The property was operated as a rental throughout the 1960s, when its tenant was Mrs. Ethel White.
This modest one-story house sits under a side gable roof, with a shed dormer on the south side of the main gable. The house rests on a stone foundation and is entirely clad with horizontal double drop siding finished with corner boards. A recessed porch runs the full width of the south façade, where the eave is supported by large tapered square columns. A solid balustrade, clad with the same material as the rest of the house, runs between the columns to enclose the porch. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash, and the three windows at the front porch have high upper sashes. The main entry, centered on the south façade, is marked by a shallow rectangular bay at the center of the porch. The windows typically feature wide board trim with projecting sills above an apron board. Other decorative elements found on the house include wide barge boards, open eaves with exposed rafter tails, knee brackets, and a blank frieze board above the front porch columns.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.