DR. GUY MOUNT HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Guy Mount purchased this property from the Oregon City Hospital Company in 1925, about the time the house was constructed. Mount was one of the "Mount Doctors", a team of brothers who owned and operated the Oregon City Hospital. He was one of 14 children born to Henry Duckwall Mount and Rebecca (Stevens) Mount. This residence remained in the Mount family until 1965, when it was sold to the Swan Corporation. At that time, Gordon P. Swan was the president of the Oregon City Hospital. The house is significant for its architecture and its association with Dr. Guy Mount and the Oregon City Hospital.
This large building sits under a hip roof and is 2-1/2 stories high. The house rests on a poured concrete foundation and is finished primarily with stucco. A small gable extends out from the center of the south façade, covering the main entry to the building. This gable, as well as the main hip, is covered with round clay tile roofing. The eaves of the main hip are partially enclosed, with large scroll cut modillions at the enclosed portion of the eave and exposed rafter tails projecting through the eave enclosures. The exposed rafter tails support the original wood gutters that are still in use on the house. The windows are primarily steel casements, appearing either singly or in pairs. The first-floor windows have slightly projected weathered stucco sills, and the second-floor sills are linked by a slightly projecting string course that encircles the building. The second-floor windows feature two light transoms above the casements. Many of the windows have seen the addition of decorative wood shutters. At the main entry, an arched opening lead to a wide door with sidelights and a leaded transom window in a spider web pattern.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.