1302 Washington Street

JACOB MILLER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1907, several properties were purchased by F.C. Burk from Ellen Warren. Burk sold parts of lots 5 and 6 to Jacob and Margaret Miller in 1913. Jacob Miller was an inspector in the commercial department of Pacific Rail, Light and Power Company (PRL&P). The house was designed by William and Fred White, prominent local architects. The White brothers designed a number of prominent local residences, and also designed several downtown commercial buildings. The widow Maud Burk sold the rest of lot 5 to the Millers in 1943. In 1957, the Millers sold their lots to Margaret Ragan. As of 1953, the house operated as Ragan's Home for the Aged. In 1966, Ms. Ragan sold them to Donald and Verda Hopp. Donald was a teacher at Ogden Junior High School.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a side gable roof with a gabled dormer on the west façade. The gable ends feature deep open eaves with knee brackets and wide notched barge boards. A recessed porch runs the full width of the west façade under the main gable with a hip roofed wraparound portion on the north side of the house. The porch features grouped square columns set on wood piers beneath a wide blank frieze and a solid balustrade encircling the porch. The west dormer leads out to a small porch cut into the roof with a small plain balustrade. This gable end is stuccoed with half timbering, but the gable ends are typically shingled. The first floor of the house is clad with beveled lap siding, as are the porch piers and balustrade. The windows in the house are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sash with wide board surrounds and decorative apron moldings. At the southeast corner of the house is a small, shed lean-to with a partially enclosed porch serving as the rear entry to the house. A large brick chimney is located on the north wall of the house, and a smaller internal chimney is located near the southeast corner of the house.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_1302