BARLOW HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: The house was originally owned by a widow, Helen Warren, who sold it to Mary Elizabeth Miller Barlow in 1890. Mary Barlow was the widow of John L. Barlow, whose father Samuel Kimbrough Barlow built the famous Barlow Road which led emigrants of the Oregon Trail to Oregon City. John Barlow's brother William founded Canemah, along with Absolom Hedges. Canemah is Oregon City's National Register Historic District. After over 30 years with Mrs. Barlow, she sold the house to Nieta Barlow Lawrence in 1923. In 1938, the house became the property of Harding Estate, Inc. In 1945, Imogene Harding Brodie purchased the house and lots 5 and 6. Lot 5 was sold off in 1952. Mrs. Brodie also sold lot 6 with the house to Ivan and Josephine Carlson. By 1958, Bernard and Mary Carlson were the owners. Bernard was a salesman. Josephine was an owner in 1960, as well as a cook at Fern's Fountain Lunch. In 1962, Josephine and Ivan were the owners.
This 2-1/2 story house sits under a gable roof with an L-shaped plan. The gables feature enclosed eaves with wide rake and frieze boards. A small gable is located at the northwest corner of the house in the inside corner of the L, covering the front porch. The porch gable is supported by turned columns and features decorative spindle work in the gable end. An octagonal bay projects out from the west side of the house, covered by a shallow hip roof and featuring a decorative frieze above the windows. The windows in the house are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with chamfered board trim and prominent hood moldings. The house's foundation has been skirted with plywood, and a fully developed water table makes the transition to the drop siding that covers the main body of the house. The siding is finished with chamfered cornerboards that match the window trim. A large chimney is located on the south wall of the house and was apparently rebuilt using buff colored brick. A second smaller chimney of red brick is located on the north side of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.