204 Washington Street

MARIE SCHWOCH HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: John and Sarah Myers owned lots 1-8 and sold them to Isaac Farr Jr. in 1879. Lot 5 was sold to Ross Farr in 1910. Two years later, Ross Farr sold the lot to F.P. Cross. Mr. Cross and his wife sold it to William and Alkevzaine Lawson in 1917. One month later, the Lawsons sold the property to Leo Shindler. In 1920, Mr. Shindler sold the north half of lot 5 to Clarence E. Bruner. Several days later, Mr. Bruner sold the property to Marie Scmwock. Mrs. Scmwock kept the north half of lot 5 with the house for over 20 years before selling in 1944 to Gertrude Schwock. In 1945, Gertrude (Schwock) O'Neill sold the property to Frank and Rae Koenig. A year later, the Koenigs sold to Erma Booth. Mrs. Booth was an employee of Audre's Dress Shop. Nearly 10 years later, in 1954, Erma, now married to Harold Edsall, sold the lot to Leslie and Bernice Cooke. The house was rented in 1953 to S.J. Otis, and in 1958 to Ray and Georgia Watts. Ray worked for Crown-Zellerbach. The Cookes retained the property until 1960, selling to Selmer and Blanche Nelson. Selmer was a meat cutter at Columbia Market. In 1967, William Shannon, a warehouseman at Safeway, resided in the house.

The family of Marie Schwoch indicated the correct spelling of the house is the Marie Schwoch House.

This bungalow sits under a front gable roof with a recessed porch running the full width of the west façade. The porch features a low plain wood balustrade running between the large square columns and a small blank frieze above the columns. The gable features open eaves with decorative knee brackets that penetrate the wide flared barge boards. The house is clad with horizontal V-groove drop siding above the water table and is skirted with plywood at the foundation level. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board trim and narrow sills above the apron board. Some windows are paired on the north and west façades. In the gable ends, latticework vents are surrounded by the same trim as the windows. A small, shed sits behind this house to the east, under a gable roof with open eaves and exposed purlins. The shed is clad with the same siding as the house and features the same window trim around the two and three-pane fixed sashes.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

WASH_0204