C.G. HUNTLEY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1889, James and Nancy Athey sold several lots to Sarah Campbell. The widow Campbell sold lot 8 to C.G. Huntly in 1896. C.G. Huntley and his brother William operated Huntley Brothers Co., a pharmacy and bookstore carrying such diverse items as books and bicycles. He served three terms as city councilman and was a member of the Oregon State Legislature. The Huntleys sold the property in 1930 to Mildred Lovett. Over 10 years later, Ivan Hambril and his wife sold the lot to Kenneth and Theresa Delp. The Delps resold it that day to Maude Knudson. In 1945, Ms. Knudson sold the property to William and Minnie Weismandel. The Weismandels had the property for 5 years before selling in 1950 to Raymond and Alice Benski. Raymond worked at Crown-Zellerbach and Alice was a secretary for ACME Adding Machine. In 1964, the Benskis sold to John and Judith Montchalin. In 1966, the Montchalins sold the property to George and Janet Guild.
This two-story house is a good example of the Queen Anne style, with a complex plan shape and multiple gables. A hip roofed porch wraps around the north, west, and south sides of the house with decorative turned columns, a spindle work frieze, and a turned balustrade. Gabled rectangular bays project out from the north and west sides of the house, cantilevered out over octagonal bays at the first-floor level. A turret is located at the northwest corner of the house under an octagonal pyramidal roof. A second-floor porch is covered by a small gable on the southwest corner of the house. The gables typically feature enclosed eaves with decorative barge moldings and sunburst patterns at the gable peaks. The second-floor porch gable is pedimented, with stickwork in the gable end. The windows are typically 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds, and the second-floor windows set under a paneled frieze. Above this frieze, in the gable ends, the house is clad with fish scale shingles that are slightly battered above the frieze. The main body of the house is clad with drop siding, finished with corner boards. A rear porch is located on the east side of the house with the same elements as the wraparound porch. The house has two chimneys, one central chimney and one on the east wall of the house. This house is set on a level lot with basalt retaining walls on the north and west sides that make the transition to the street slopes.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.