715 5th Street
JUDGE THOMAS F. RYAN HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1889, Thomas F. Ryan purchased this property and proceeded to construct his residence. Ryan, a native of Rhode Island, arrived in Oregon City in 1880, after mining in Colorado and traveling as a correspondent for the Boston Journal. Early on, he worked for the local mills and in 1885, purchased the Cliff House, a principal hotel. Ryan was involved in real estate and the Republican Party, serving as mayor for one term, city recorder for six years, county judge for eight years, and deputy state treasurer for eight years. In 1919, he deeded this property to Ervan L. and Hazel I. Howell, who retained ownership for nearly 30 years. In 1947, ownership was transferred to E.A. and Willima Hugh, who converted the house into the Hugh Apartments, a seven unit building. After purchasing the property in 1957, Otto H. and Maggie Hugh became its owner occupants. They operated the rental units, then the Maple Apartments, until 1974.
This 2-1/2 story Queen Anne sits under a hip roof, with large gables on the south and east sides of the house covering rectangular bays. A shed roof covers a bay on the west side, while the gables extend out from the hip to the east and south. At the southwest corner, a shallow hip roof covers the wraparound front porch. This hip is supported by slender square columns with scroll cut brackets at the wide shingled frieze, and a simple balustrade encloses the porch. The house is entirely clad with wood shingles that are slightly battered above the stone foundation. The gable ends feature decorative barge molding and boxed eaves, as does the main hip. The windows are 1/1 double-hung wood sashes with narrow trim molding that is likely a replacement of the original trim. A garage is located to the north of the main house and is large enough to possibly have been another house. The garage appears to have been built about 1900, and features wide rake and frieze boards, boxed eaves, drop siding, corner boards that simulate pilasters with molding and brackets at the capitals, a concrete foundation, new overhead doors, vinyl sliding sashes at the ground floor level and 4/4 double-hung wood windows at the second floor level, all with plain board trim.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.