WALTER AND MAY ANDERSON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1922, Walter and May Anderson purchased this property and are credited with the construction of the residence. Mr. Anderson was employed at the Crown Willamette Paper Company and had four children. In 1944, this property was sold to Etta Burgess, who continued to own and occupy it until 1959, when it was deeded to Olive Burgess Chapelle, relation unknown. Olive and her husband Percy used the house as a rental property for a short while, but by 1964 were living in the house. The Chapelle's sold the house in 1965 to Herbert Duncan, a carpenter with LW Parsons Construction. Duncan lived in the house during his ownership, which lasted until 1968.
This modest bungalow sits under a side gable roof, with a small gable projecting out from the east side to cover the main entry to the house. This gable is supported by large square columns with arches between them, giving the porch a classical feel. The gables feature open eaves with exposed rafter tails and purlins, wide barge boards, and brackets. The house is clad entirely with wood shingles, and features 1/1 double-hung wood sash windows and fifteen-pane casement sashes. The northeast corner of the house has been altered by the addition of an external brick chimney and the installation of five light fixed sashes with horizontally oriented panes. These alterations were likely made about 1945.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.