104 S. High Street

LUTHER CLAYTON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This house, built about 1900, was owned by either the Burmeister or Andresen family until 1911, when John W. Loder bought the property. Burmeister and Andresen were the proprietors of a jewelry store in Oregon City, and Loder was one of the city's prominent citizens in the early part of the 20th century. Luther Clayton bought the property in 1913, when he was a weaver for the Oregon City Manufacturing Company. The house remained in the Clayton family through the historic period, selling in 1968 to Edward and Ruth Thommen. Clayton's son Russell and his wife Marion lived in the house during the 1940s, when he was employed as a clerk at the Gregory Grocery and as a machinist. Luther Clayton and his wife Mary were retired by 1953 and living alone in the house.

This house sits under a side gable roof with a hip roof covering the porch that wraps around the north and west sides of the house. The porch hip is supported by Tuscan columns on the north elevation, resting on a solid balustrade. On the west side, large square posts support the eave with a plain balustrade running between them. The gable features open eaves with wide barge boards and knee brackets on the north gable end, which is shingled above a string course at the eave line. The first floor level of the house is clad with drop siding on the north, east, and west sides while the south side of the house has been clad with plywood. The windows in the house are a mixture of 1/1 double-hung wood sash, 1/1 double-hung vinyl sash, and vinyl sliding sashes. The original windows are primarily located on the north, west, and east sides. The south side gable end features a pair of double-hung wood sashes, but the first floor windows on this side have been replaced. Two small windows on the west side above the porch hip are now vinyl sliding sashes. A central chimney is located just west of the ridge, and features a new galvanized cap.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form 

HIGH_S_0104