JOSEPH B. LOCKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Joseph B. Locke (1838-1922) was a carpenter who lived at 810 John Adams Street. In 1910, he bought Lot 1, apparently subdividing the lot and building first this house, then the one next door at 1122 9th Street. Realtor M.A. Elliott bought this house in 1913, selling it in 1915 to Mrs. Marie Schwock. Schwock and her husband Fred sold the property in 1924, and, after a brief ownership by Anton Bauer, William Schwartz and his wife Minnie bought the house. The Schwartz's lived in the house through the early 1940s, but then used it as a rental before selling it to Alton S. Graham, an employee of Publishers Paper. Graham lived in the house until at least 1960, but by 1962 it was being used as a rental. The house stayed in the Graham family until the mid-1970s.
This one-story Queen Anne Cottage has a square plan on a concrete foundation. Its front-facing gable roof is covered in composition shingles and the exterior walls are clad in drop siding. Windows are primarily wood 1/1 double-hung with slightly projecting sills and headers. The recessed, half-width porch features classical columns on a closed rail. Characteristics of the Queen Anne Cottage include the cut-away bay window, the spindle work in the front gable, and the shingles in various patterns. Decorative features include the slight eave returns, the frieze, and the water table and cap. Alterations include the front steps and handrail and the new foundation.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.