Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
The City of Oregon City has hired MGT Consulting to help ensure that its practices and policies create an inclusive and equitable environment for every member of the community. This is in an effort to help accomplish the City Commission's goal of promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion for a safe, inclusive community, and organization.
In December 2021, the City of Oregon City solicited vendors to submit a proposal to help the City ensure that its practices and policies create an inclusive and equitable environment for every member of the community. In March, the City Commission approved MGT Consulting as our partner. We are excited to work with MGT to guide our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts.
The objectives of this assessment are:
- Analyze existing systems, policies, programs, processes, and staff readiness in order to develop and successfully integrate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) throughout their operations
- Facilitate robust and constructive community engagement and involvement around DEI-related topics
- Coordinate the activities of a high-profile community Task Force.
DEI Community Task Force
The Community DEI Task Force attempts to reflect the entire Oregon City community as identified on the 2020 Census. Representation is proportional with respect to various demographic markers including but not limited to race, gender, education level, job type, economic status, etc. Half of the DEI task force are community members who applied through the application process and the other half came from nominations from Oregon City Commissioners and staff members.
The Community DEI Task Force and other key stakeholders will provide 3 key services:
- Participate in a series of focus group meetings to provide insight regarding the state of equity across the city
- Provide feedback on the DEI Assessment of Oregon City
- Provide recommendations to MGT and the City of Oregon City regarding potential initiatives that should be included in the City's DEI Action Plan
DEI Task Force Meeting Topics
The Community DEI Task Force will recommend, discuss, and agree upon all agenda topics at hybrid and in-person meetings.
Some topics for their consideration are listed:
- Provide feedback on the state of equity in the city
- Education of DEI concepts and discussion about the impact of racism and bias
- Design of community outreach plan for stakeholder engagement
- Review and provide feedback on survey items for the community survey
- Review and provide feedback on the DEI Assessment Report and recommendations
- Provide input on the contents of the DEI Action Plan