621 11th Street
A.D. PUTROW HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This house is one of a number in the city built by architect/carpenter William White, who apparently signed his name in the porch by carving it in the wood. The residence was moved from the corner of 11th and Washington around 1912, and at the time battered columns replaced the original turned posts. The house was built by A.D. Putrow for his daughter Maria when she married banker E.G. Caufield. Later, the Caufields moved to the Bungalow at the corner of 11th and Washington, which was built after this residence was moved. In 1924, the couple sold the property to John Barry, a machine operator at the CWP Company. Thomas Barry bought the house from his father in 1948 and lived in the home through the remainder of the historic period and until his death in 1973. Thomas Barry was a partner in the McNaulty & Barry Billiard Parlor, located in downtown Oregon City.
This two-story house features an L-shaped plan, covered by a gable roof and resting on a poured concrete foundation. The gable eaves are enclosed, and feature decorative scroll cut brackets in the gable ends that give the house an Italianate flair. A hip roofed porch sits at the inside corner of the L, supported by a series of tapered square columns that rest on a solid balustrade. This porch was altered when the house was moved. The porch balustrade, as well as the house itself, is clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with corner boards. The corner boards feature a decorative rounded bead at the corner. The windows are typically 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board trim and narrow projecting sills supported by small apron blocks. The gable end windows also feature hood molding below a piece of scroll cut ornament. On the east side of the house, a rectangular bay is present at the first floor level, covered by a shallow hip roof. The frieze board on the bay features a dentil course that matches the one on the porch frieze. The house also features a full water table and two interior chimneys, both of brick with recently added clay tile linings.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.