924 4th Street

FRANCIS C. BUTLER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1895, Francis C. Butler purchased this lot and is credited with the construction of the residence. Ten years later, the property was deeded to W.A. Long, who in turn transferred to A.E. and Mary Fowler Little in 1907. Although couple owned the property until 1923, there is no evidence they ever occupied it. The next long-term titleholder, Katie Murray, from 1927 to 1943, also appears to have used the house as a rental. However, the next owners, Frank Mitchell and Bertha M. Skinner, proceeded to occupy this property for over a decade. In 1956, a deed recorded to Adrien C. Charriere, who resided in Clackamas. This house returned to its status of a rental and was occupied by Yvonne E. Killian for most of the 1960s.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a cross gable roof on a stone foundation. The main gable runs north-south, and a secondary gable runs to the east from the south end of the main gable. The gables create and L-shaped plan that is disturbed by a one-story addition to the south that dates to the 1920s. At the inside corner of the cross gables, a hip roofed porch supported by large square columns covers the main entry to the house. The main gables feature enclosed eaves with wide rake and frieze boards, while the southern addition features open eaves. Both the main house and the addition are clad with drop siding finished with corner boards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board surrounds, prominent hood moldings and apron blocks. The northern façade features apron boards instead of blocks. A fully developed water table encircles the main body of the house, and a corbelled brick chimney is located near the center of the north-south gable.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form