GEORGE AND BERTHA STOREY HOUSE c.1900 -- Statement of Significance: George Lincoln Storey was born August 18, 1860, in Salem and moved to Oregon City in 1889. Active in Republican party activities, he served as Secretary to the Clackamas County Central Committee from 1894-96. An interest in politics led him to serve in the State House of Representatives from 1885-1901; he then served several terms as City Attorney after developing a prominent local legal practice. During the years 1901-1905, he pursued the courtship of Bertha Gibson, his neighbor across Pierce Street. George Storey married Bertha Gibson sometime between 1904-1907, and she sold her house in 1908. The Storeys pursued a life in Oregon City which revolved around George's legal practice and his involvement in local politics and civic affairs. Following his tenure as City Attorney, he became chief deputy in the office of Clackamas County Sheriff Wilson. In 1923 his health began to fail, and he died in Portland's Sellwood Hospital on November 18, 1924. He was buried in the Storey family plot in Forrester Cemetery in Eagle Creek. Bertha Gibson retained the house until her death in the early 1930s. From recent survey information of Oregon City, William A. White, with his brother Frederick, have been identified as having designed and constructed many residential and commercial structures in Oregon City between 1889-910. The structure is significant for its unusual architectural character - the only one of its styles with shingle siding - and for its association with Storey, a prominent Oregon City resident.