CLARENCE RITTENHOUSE HOUSE c.1915 -- Statement of Significance: Clarence E. Rittenhouse is believed to be the original owner of the subject property, which was deeded the property from his mother, Sarah Jane. His father, Wilson, was a carpenter and is attributed with the design and construction of the dwelling. According to tax assessor records the house was built in 1915 and three years later sold to David M. Carns. Carns and his wife owned the house through most of the historic period. Sarah Jane Rittenhouse was born in Iowa and had four sons and two daughters. In addition to Clarence, who later lived in Tillamook, the Rittenhouse sons were Claude D., Calvin A. and Austin. The daughters were Mrs. Lulu Mumpower and Mrs. Winnie Freeman. The elder Rittenhouse and the sons are known to have helped build other houses in the neighborhood. Other houses owned by Rittenhouse family members are located one block away on Front.
The house is a good example of the Vernacular style. It is composed of a simple rectangular volume covered with narrow, dropped siding and finished with corner boards. The low-pitched gable roof reflects the popularity of the Bungalow style. The house has had one minor alteration: a window replaced on the south elevation. Landscape features, including boxwood hedge, ornamental shrubs, fruit and nut trees, and arbor, contribute to the historic character of the dwelling.