15896 Apperson Boulevard

(Previously 15824 Apperson Blvd) FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF PARK PLACE c.1871 -- Statement of Significance: It is not known when the First Congregation Church of Park Place was constructed, however, most sources indicate that it was originally located behind Abernethy Grange. Histories of the local schools state that the subject building was also used by the Park Place School District No. 48. According to Dan Thompson, author of Oregon City Public Schools: Our Heritage, the church building was constructed in 1871. Another source, Robert Cartouche, author of Historic Park Place, indicates that the building was constructed in 1878. All sources agreed that the building was used as a school until 1892 when the second Park Place School was constructed on the site of the Grange. Shortly after the turn of the century, the building was moved to its current location at the intersection of Apperson and Forsythe.

Deed records indicate that the Grange property was sold to the School District in 1892. It was not unusual for a property owner to donate land for a school and/or church, and years later sell the property to the school district or congregation. In 1908 the land at Apperson and Forsythe was sold to the First Congregation Church in whose name it remained until 1958.

As constructed the subject building was a good example of a Vernacular style church. In Oregon the Vernacular style is based on a simplified version of the Gothic Revival style. Salient features include the moderate to steeply pitched gable roof and dropped horizontal siding finished with corner and rake boards. Church buildings commonly had a simple steeple at the main entrance and pointed arch windows.

The Congregational Church building has been altered since the historic period. The windows are covered with boards, making it difficult to assess the type and condition. In addition, the entrance has been altered and a garage door added to the rear elevation. Nonetheless, the Congregation Church building is an important element in Park Place, acting as a focus of community activity from the latter part of the 19th century through the historic period.

Historic Inventory Form