G.R.H. MILLER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: G.R.H. Miller was a carpenter who built several houses in Oregon City. In 1867, he built the first steps up the Oregon City bluffs from the lower level. The steps ran from 3rd Street on the bluff to 4th Street on the lower level, near the Oregon City Woolen Mill, and provided workers with direct access to their place of employment. This house is significant for its age, its architectural detailing, and its association with Miller, both as a carpenter and as builder of the first steps up the bluff.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a cross gable roof formed by a main east-west ridge and large dormers on the north and south sides. A hip roofed porch runs the full width of the west façade, where slender turned columns support the low hip. The porch is surrounded by a latticework balustrade, a recent replacement of the original. The house features enclosed eaves, wide rake and frieze boards, decorative barge and rake moldings, scrollwork in the east and west gable ends, and small pendants at the corners of the porch hip. The house is clad with beveled lap siding finished with corner boards, and the windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash. The west windows have all been replaced, with two large, fixed panes flanking the central entry and a small 4/1 vinyl window in the gable end. All of the windows have wide board surrounds and projecting sills.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.