Rights-of-Way (ROW) Street Permits
On October 5, 2022, the City Commission approved a Permanent Program for Parklets within the rights-of-way. The application for parklets and sidewalk seating is available in the Supporting Documents section of this page. To learn more about the program visit the Parklet Program page.
On March 17, 2021, the City Commission designated specific areas of Oregon City for sidewalk sales, adopted an obstruction policy, and amended the renewable right-of-way permit fee. See the Supporting Documents section of this page and the fee schedule on the Engineering Fee page.
A permit is required to perform work in the right-of-way (ROW) such as the following, but is not limited to:
- Temporary obstructions in the public ROW such as moving containers and debris dumpsters
- Water connections, repairs, and new installations to the public water main
- Sanitary sewer connections, repairs, and new installations to the public sewer main
- Stormwater connections, repairs, and new installations to the public stormwater main
- Pavement cuts and repairs
- Curb, ramp and sidewalk repairs or new installations
A ROW permit may be required for the use of the ROW for any Special Events if the event disturbs the right-of-way with improvements as summarized previously.
A Right-of-Way Permit Application may be downloaded from this page and filled out digitally or printed and filled out by hand. In some cases a Pavement Cut Permit Application may also be required. A site plan showing the proposed work and a traffic control plan (if applicable) must be submitted along with the permit application(s) for review and approval. All necessary documents must be submitted to the Public Works counter at City Hall, 13895 Fir Street, Oregon City, OR prior to issuance/approval of a ROW application. Applications may be sent by email to the City or send it by U.S. Mail to:
ROW Permit Coordinator, Oregon City Public Works
13895 Fir Street
Oregon City, OR 97045
Staff are available Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm via phone or email.
For More Information
If you are seeking a permit, information about a property, or need to ask a question, phone staff at 971-204-4601. If we cannot help you, we will forward your request to the appropriate person.
The current fee for a ROW permit can be found listed in the Engineering Services Fee Chart available in the Supporting Documents section of this page.
All work within the ROW must adhere to City Standards. Inspection is required prior to final City acceptance. 72 hours advance notice must be given for inspection, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Any work to be done on a Saturday or holiday must be approved by the City at least 72 hours in advance.
For requests of removal or replacement of street trees, as defined by the Planning Division, contact the Planning Division at 698 Warner Parrott Road, at 503-722-3789, or visit the Planning Division's Know if I Need a Tree Removal Permit and Remove and Replace a Street Tree pages. More information regarding street tree removal is also available in the Renewable Right-of-Way Brochure in the Supporting Documents section.
- Exhibit A for Sidewalk Sales (DOCX)
- Parklet and Sidewalk Seating/Sales Application (PDF)
- Parklet Guide and Resolution October 2022 (PDF)
- Pavement Cut Permit Application (PDF)
- Permanent Right-of-Way Obstruction Indemnity (PDF)
- Renewable Right-of-Way Brochure (PDF)
- Resolution 21-01 Designating Certain Areas of the City for Sidewalk Sales (PDF)
- Resolution 21-03 Sidewalk Obstruction Standard Operating Policy (PDF)
- Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit Application (PDF)