Are there any tax benefits available for historic renovations?

If you plan major improvements to your historic home in the Canemah National Register District or if you are individually listed on the National Register, the State of Oregon offers a tax freeze program to help you do it right.

For substantial commercial, industrial, and rental housing rehabilitation projects, which comply with the Secretary of Interior's standards, federal tax credits of up to 20% are available. The application process is fairly complicated (you must be on the National Register or be a contributing building in a National Register Historic District), but the tax credits can make the difference in a successful project. The process involves review at the state level.

More information can be obtained from:

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
State Historic Preservation Office
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between "Maintenance" and "Changes"?
2. Are there alterations which will not be approved?
3. What standards does the Historic Review Board use to evaluate the applications?
4. Are the economics of repairing my property considered?
5. Are there any tax benefits available for historic renovations?
6. I noticed that there are many types of inventory forms on the website and some have more information than others, why is that?
7. I think I have found an error on one of the forms, who do I contact to have it changed?
8. I have an historic photo of the house/street and would like to give it to the city to put online, who do I contact?
9. If it has an inventory form, does that mean it is historic? What makes a building “historic”?
10. What if I have additional questions that have not been answered?