What should I do if I move out of Oregon City?

Contact Customer Service by calling 503-657-8151, or use the link on our webpage entitled

"Stop My Utility Service".

The City uses a final meter reading to calculate the final billing. Most final statements could exceed a billing period since a customer could have a statement that is unbilled and then cancels service after the cycle ends. When moving the unbilled and the final read statements could be billed together. Please pay attention to the billing dates to avoid duplicate payments; contact Customer Service with any questions.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact for additional customer service or billing questions?
2. When are statements sent?
3. When should I receive a Utility Statement in Oregon City?
4. What is the due date for my utility bill?
5. How do I start service?
6. What should I do if I move out of Oregon City?
7. Does the City have a reduced rate or low-income program?
8. What are the payment options available?
9. How do I change my mailing address?