CHARLIE AND GERTRUDE WASHBURN HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: H. S. Anderson, a county judge, first sold the block to W. W. Myers in 1919. In 1922 the west half (Lots 5-8) was sold to Charlie and Gertrude Washburn (for which the house is named), who owned it for 11 years. William Weismandel purchased the house in 1933 and later sold it in 1941 to Joseph Foley. It was then sold to James A. Squire (1943) and later bought by Anna Miller (1944) and her husband Paul, a gardener, who occupied the house until 1977.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a side gable roof, with a large gable centered on the north façade covering the front porch. A third gable is present at the southwest corner of the house, covering its rear entry. The gables all feature enclosed eaves and gable end returns. The porch gable is supported by two large tapered square columns set on wood piers. The columns feature recessed panels and a barrel vault fills the space under the gable to serve as the porch ceiling. The southwest gable once covered an open porch, but six light fixed sashes were installed to enclose the porch. The house has also seen the installation of three large fixed sashes, two on the north side and one on the west. The other windows in the house are a mixture of 6/1 and 8/1 double-hung wood sash. All of the windows feature board trim on three sides with a decorative apron molding beneath the narrow sills. The house is entirely clad with narrow beveled lap siding that is slightly battered above the poured concrete foundation. Two chimneys with corbelled tops are present in the house, one on the east wall and one in the western portion of the house. A small garage, located to the southwest of the house, sits under a flat roof with the same lap siding as the house. It features a single car bay with a door on an external track.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.